Boulder in Winter and the USA XC Championships

My oldest called me in January and asked me to come visit her in the middle of February. She has been injured since November and unable to train or compete and since most of her friends would be gone to Seattle for an indoor track meet, she thought it’d be a good time for me to hang. She knows I love to train there because of the many amazing running trails and of course—it’s at altitude! She told me it was ok if I stayed a week. Wow! I’m a lucky mom. It’s always fun for me to visit. I miss seeing her every day. This time I got to go on my own and we got to have quality mother/daughter time!
Ummm….looks frozen down there!
Old Man Winter rollin' in.
The "snowy" part of the creek path!
I lucked out too. I was a little nervous about running in the snow, and since I knew that Boulder had been hit with a more-than-normal amount for the season as well as been experiencing sub zero temps on a regular basis for the past several weeks, I was even more nervous. The coldest running temperatures I’d experienced were the 25 degrees that those of us at CIM faced this past December. I knew I could survive that, but I wasn’t sure about anything colder…But I got lucky. Even though I came prepared with my yaktracks, I didn’t ever need them. My suitcase was full of cold weather clothes that I never got out. The weather warmed up to the 40’s and even 50’s + some of the days. When I arrived, Colorado was blanketed in snow, and by the time I left, most of it had melted. It never snowed, but we did have rain one day and a few days of the windstorms that seem to characterize the place.

Beautiful Boulder dressed in winter.
My daughter spoiled me. Letting me sleep in and lounge around. Lending my day to training…running, lifting, and swimming in her complex’s heated indoor pool. We ate fresh organic healthy meals. I got to eat all of my favorite things that are there in Boulder and she cooked for me too. We shopped to our hearts’ content, had our nails done, and even played with an Olympian’s dog. Most importantly though, I got to have those wonderful heart to heart talks that a mother and daughter can share. I haven’t had that kind of one on one time with her since she was 14 before the twins were born.



I also lucked out because this week covered the weekend of the USA Cross Country Championships and it just so happened to be in Boulder as well. Wow! And, now that I’m 40, I qualified for the master’s race. I’d never run in a cross country race, so I was a little nervous about this new sport. Also, I’d never used spikes and I was worried that I’d just end up hurting myself (I tend to do that often). But I just couldn’t pass up this opportunity—even though really, I’m in the midst of marathon training and 100 mile weeks. I’d done some harder effort workouts in Boulder on past trips, and I knew that it wasn’t going to be one of my faster races and that the ladies that reside in Boulder would all have an advantage over me. But I was excited about going out there and trying out running around in circles on grass (or snow?) and over hills and ditches with a bunch of old(er) ladies who are just as crazy as me. What could be better?

The USA XC course two days before the race!

Trying out this new idea of running with spikes.

Just look at this crowd! There was such a good turnout for this race. Note #21 and her buddies behind me! Nuta Olaru in the red was the Champ! There were some really amazing women competing.
This race was a wonderful learning experience for me. I love to compete and test my limits. It was so much fun. I can’t say I ran my best, or smartest race, but it was awesome to be out there and run on that course that the pros would be racing on later in the day. I have watched my daughter run in cross country races since 2007. But I didn’t know what it was really all about until now. Watching a sport and actively participating in a sport are two different activities. It was great to get to participate and then stay to watch the truly talented runners. I’m so proud that I got to be a part of it. And…I can’t wait to do it again!

Feeling a little too excited at the start.
Feeling like a fish out of water here.
Careful! Don't trip!
Made it to the finish!
The scene before the race. It was so windy they had to take the warming tents down. (photo by Adriana Nelson Pirtea and @rollrecovery http://www.rollrecovery.com) 
So many trails…so little time.

Until next time...







Comments

Popular Posts